Monday, April 28, 2008

Islamic state agenda is still on

merican@yahoo.com

Yesterday (22nd April, 2008), the Star newspaper reported on PAS’s aspiration for an Islamic state under the caption of:

PAS: Islamic state agenda is still on


In response to the above, a well known Muslim human rights lawyer (Malik Imtiaz Sarwar) concerned by such a moved remarked, inter alia, the following:

It’s also a cause of discomfort. We don’t have a homogenous society. We have a multiracial and multi-religious society.

To non-Muslims we are in fact saying they have a lesser place. Are we saying that non-Muslims are less significant and of lesser standing in the country? I don’t want to be part of that or be associated with that.


I was therefore pleasantly surprised when a non Muslim lawyer posted the following reply over the same topic (as appearing at the Bar Council website*):

For me, it is not just about trying to understand what "Islamic state" really means. It is also about PAS' interpretation of the same, and how they intend to implement it.

For that, not much has been revealed to us ordinary citizens by the mass or party-owned media, has it?

I am in my late 30s, and only visited Kelantan for the first time in my life less than 2 years ago! I was so surprised. All the prejudices and preconceived notions I had about Kelantan being something like Egypt or Saudi Arabia were blown away. True, Kelantan is nothing like Dubai either, but it is still a normal place. Poor economically, but normal. I could live in Kelantan actually, the old-fashioned recluse that I am.

So I say that this issue of Malaysia becoming "Islamic state" has not only been blown out of proportion, it has been twisted and turned by BN, and maybe even DAP.

As a Roman Catholic (we're popularly known as the lazy and least fervent Christians) I find no problem with Islam. The problem is with people who call themselves good Muslims, but are nothing like. Similarly, I know many people who consider themselves holier-than- thou Christians, but behave like pagans and devils.

What I can't understand is people who won't even come anywhere near a PAS member (not even with a 30-feet pole!) but have no qualms voting for [deleted by MBW] candidates from UMNO, MCA or MIC.

Finally, I really hope that PAS fields more non-Malay candidates in the future.

Alex Tan Ken Seng


It is interesting to read that on the one hand you have a Muslim casting great doubts and concern on the universality and fairness of Islamic justice and on the other, a non Muslim appealing for greater understanding on what that Islamic state would entail.

Truly hidayah comes only from Allah.

Salam

Megat Shaharuddin Merican @ Har


* http://www.malaysia nbar.org. my/legal/ general_news/ pas_islamic_ state_agenda_ is_still_ on.html


*****.*****

Daripada Abu Umarah iaitu al-Bara' bin 'Azib radhiallahu anhuma, katanya: "Kita semua diperintah oleh Rasulullah s.a.w. untuk melakukan tujuh perkara, iaitu meninjau orang sakit, mengikuti janazah, menentasymitkan orang yang bersin, menolong orang yang lemah, membantu orang yang teraniaya, meratakan salam dan melaksanakan sumpah."

(Muttafaq 'alaih)

No comments: